The UAM Hub

The Student News Site of The Urban Assembly for Media Studies

The UAM Hub

The UAM Hub

Migrants living in NY
April 12, 2024
Southern Hospitality
April 7, 2024

MLK Soccer Team’s Resilience Shines Through Despite Defeat

Raymond+Romero+Santos+interviews+MLK+soccer+team+co-captain%2C+Sebastian+Lopez.+
Raymond Romero Santos interviews MLK soccer team co-captain, Sebastian Lopez.

The Martin Luther King High School’s varsity soccer team, a crowd favorite, recently experienced a significant setback. The MLK soccer team played against Fort Hamilton’s soccer team on November 13th 2023. Despite a 3-year win streak hanging on the balance of the game’s outcome, The MLK soccer team entered the game with confidence in their ability to win, only to be surprised by the unexpected outcome, resulting in a 2-1 defeat.

News of their surprising loss in the regional playoff game against Hamilton High School spread quickly throughout the school. Curious to understand the situation, Raymond Romero Santos, a member of the soccer team and also UAM Hub reporter,  interviewed key members of the team. Captain Sebastian Lopez shared his perspective with former teammate Raymond Romero

“The loss didn’t bother me much,” stated Lopez. “We win some, we lose some. I’m confident we’ll win games in the future.”

Despite the loss, Sebastian Lopez expressed contempt with the outcome of the match. When asked about what he believes he could have done to improve during the time he was out on the field, he responded with conviction.

“During the whole game, I was trying my best. I was carrying the team you know? I’m not sure what I could’ve done better.”

Sebastian Lopez, a senior at UAM, exuded confidence and sureness in the fact that he played to the best of his ability while carrying his team.

Zekiel Johnson, a senior at UAM, who also played a crucial part on the team was asked about his perspective of the game and what he thought they could’ve done better. 

Johnson offered insights into the challenges the team faced during the match. “Hamilton was decent, but we didn’t play our best,” he admitted. Despite the setback, Johnson highlighted the team’s resilience, noting that they really only fell short by one point. He expressed confidence that, given a little more time, they could have turned the tide, especially after his own pivotal goal.

As the MLK’s team captains, Sebastian Lopez and Zekiel Johnson were both in the midst of the action. The UAM Hub’s interview uncovered the dedication and determination of the team, showcasing all of the captains and other players’ commitment to the sport.

The MLK soccer team may have faced a tough loss, but with leaders like Zekiel Johnson and Sebastian Lopez at the lead, there is a sense of optimism and a belief in the team’s ability to bounce back in their next season. As the school rallies behind them, the MLK soccer team’s journey continues, reminding us that despite victory being crucial in the sports world, resilience is just as crucial.