The UAM Hub

The Student News Site of The Urban Assembly for Media Studies

The UAM Hub

The UAM Hub

Migrants living in NY
April 12, 2024

Ms. Veve Leaves UAM for a New Opportunity, Mr. Fonseca Steps into a New Role

Eliza Martinez asks Ms. Veve to share her social media preferences.

Ms. Delia Veve, the principal of the Urban Assembly for Media studies, has served the school for a total of 17 years, starting her journey in 2006.

“Initially, I joined UAM as an assistant principal,” Veve said. “Then, I took over as principal in January of 2009.”

Veve revealed that she recently decided to leave UAM for a new opportunity. She has accepted a position as the chief of curriculum and instruction for New York City Public Schools.

“I’ve been asked to work for the New York City public schools,” Veve said. “I’m excited to start my new job, but it’s also bittersweet to leave a place I’ve been at for so long.”

The transition stirs mixed feelings in Veve, who described her situation as similar to that of an 8th grader transitioning to high school.

“I’ve worked here for 17 years and formed close relationships with my colleagues,” Veve said. “It feels like going into ninth grade. I’m stepping into a new environment without knowing anyone.”

Mr. Baldwin Peña, a staff member and business manager at UAM, has known Veve for her full tenure at UAM. Peña explained that UAM is all about growth and improving yourself. He stated that he will miss Veve’s leadership, and that he is proud of the direction she took the school.

Peña added that he supports her decision of accepting the promotion and doesn’t take it personally. He further explained how staff members in the past and present have elevated their positions and been promoted, like Mr. Trinidad recently to assistant principal and Mr. Bruno from P.E. teacher to assistant principal at the High School of Arts and Technology. 

Be on the lookout for next month’s profiles on our new principal Mr. Paulo Fonseca and our new gym teacher Mr. Dan Hornado.