The UAM Hub

The Student News Site of The Urban Assembly for Media Studies

The UAM Hub

The UAM Hub

Migrants living in NY
April 12, 2024

How Women Sports Have Changed Over the Years

For many years, women have been underrepresented, particularly in the world of sports. Women have faced pseudo-biological accusations saying that they were unfit to play in sports. Whether it be they aren’t fast enough or manly enough to play in a certain category of a sport. That however is changing in 2024, women are getting their recognition after years.

Mr. Harrison, a teacher at UAM, shared his thoughts:“So I mean before me, it wasn’t even like, school didn’t even have equal women’s sports. I remember when I was in high school, we got to watch our girls basketball team.”

This quote shows how Mr. Harrison grew up in a world where female sports teams were rare. 

“I will say I am happy that she sees his influence. And not only that, but I’m happy that more so than when I was a kid, we see women in more positions than they used to be and greater representation, right. So like, it’s just a greater idea of her being able to see that there are possibilities and there’s a ton of possibilities of what you can do and you’re not limited just because you’re a woman and society says you only have a set certain things so I do want her to let let her know like, your choice is your choice of what you want to do in this world and how you want to contribute to the planet.”

But now, his daughter is being able to grow up with sports idols like Livy Dunn, Catlin Clark and Simone Biles, among others. For example, Catlin Clark became the all-time top scorer in NCAA Division I for all players, male or female. Which is very important for a young mind to be able to see someone who looks like them on TV. According to the Council of Europe ” the way in which most people perceive gender tends to be internalized so deeply that it appears ‘normal’ and natural” Which is something that we are starting to change around.  Female sports popularity is at an all time high. According to Nielsen ‘Interest in the Women’s Super League increased 81% from 2022 to 2023  and this year, 41% of the global population are excited for the Women’s World Cup, rising from 34% before the 2019 Women’s World Cup3.” This shows the rising popularity of women’s sports.

However, the work is not done. Women’s sports are getting more recognition than ever before but that doesn’t mean that we should stop.