The UAM Hub

The Student News Site of The Urban Assembly for Media Studies

The UAM Hub

The UAM Hub

Migrants living in NY
April 12, 2024
Southern Hospitality
April 7, 2024

Migrants living in NY

Did you know that in 2023, 95,000 migrants came to NYC. Now, in 2024, “More than 175,000 migrants have made their way to New York” (“How NYC is coping with 175,000 migrants from the Southern border” 2024, NPR Davies). You may be wondering “Why are there so many people coming to NY?” Many people came to NYC to have a better life. They are looking for a new home, new job, and a school if they have kids. 

Many people arriving in New York have struggled with finding homes because “ “city officials have said they are running out of room.” (“What to know about Migrant Crisis in New York” 2023, New York Times, Meko). However, Mayor Eric Adams and other city officials have found other ways to help migrants live safely.

Where can they live?

“The city transformed a former hotel in midtown into a migrant intake center and created a new agency to help coordinate their arrivals, but the city’s response has, at times, been fragmented and reactive as the system has become more strained.” (“What to know about Migrant Crisis in New York” 2023, New York Times, Meko)

While other migrants live in the street, the city helped migrants find shelter by looking for different places as emergency shelters such as hotels, office buildings, and school gyms.

The city made a migrant intake center in Time square. However, Migrant shelters have a curfew from 11pm to 6am made by the mayor Eric Adams. 

“Anything that could keep us safe, that’s the goal, public safety.” said Mayor Eric Adams. (“New York City adds 20 more shelters to migrant curfew” 2024, Keleshian)

The reason is that there were news reports that a group of men attacked two police officers next to the migrant shelter. The curfew was made to keep the migrants safe.

How do they get jobs?

(“Nearly 40k jobs identified for Ny migrants”, Spectrum News 1, Lisa)” The state Department of Labour has identified 39, 456 jobs opened to migrants and asylum seekers in New York”. These jobs include health care, food care, retail, computer and information management, transportation and more.

Migrants can work in NY if they have work experience and good skills.

Many migrants are coming to NY to look for new homes or jobs. They need a place to live and a job to support themselves. NY should do a better job of helping the migrant families find a more appropriate place to live rather than in office buildings or school gyms.