The UAM Hub

The Student News Site of The Urban Assembly for Media Studies

The UAM Hub

The UAM Hub

Autism Awareness/Acceptance Month

In April 2024, UAM celebrated Autism Awareness Month to talk about Autism and why the celebration is important for students who have Autism. There were buttons, posters, and a slideshow for students to view and show support.

Autism is a disability when someone learns, interacts or behaves differently from other people. Some people may have a hard time with communication or group activities. Maybe they avoid eye contact or they rather not be with other people. They can interact by using a computer or writing on paper.

According to the CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “For example, some people with ASD may have advanced conversation skills whereas others may be nonverbal. Some people with ASD need a lot of help in their daily lives; others can work and live with little to no support.”

In April, the UAM Community celebrated Autism with a celebration party. There was pizza, coloring papers, cupcakes, and fruit. Also, many students brought their parents to the party.

“This year was especially exciting for us all. Because we celebrated Autism Acceptance month with our first school wide celebration, where students with Autism were invited, their parents were invited and the staff participated,” said Ms. Monsie, 10th grade School Counselor. “And I thought it was a great celebration. And just to add it, no, I feel that we UAM celebrate Autism every day, not just during one month.”

There are many 10th and 11th grade students who have Autism. “Yes, I teach grades 10 and 11 cohorts in the Horizon Program here at UAM. So for each group, there’s about eight students in the class. So I teach a total of 16 students with Autism here at UAM.” Ms. Vice, Teacher.

Autism Awareness Month is a way to celebrate people with Autism. It’s nice to get everyone to accept it as well because many people with Autism are not being treated kindly.

“I think that as a school, we celebrate it, because we have to bring awareness to everyone. Because our students here with Autism are so incredible,” Ms. Monsie, 10th grade school counselor. “So the more that we’re educated and informed about Autism, the more we accept and are aware of it.”