The UAM Hub

The Student News Site of The Urban Assembly for Media Studies

The UAM Hub

The UAM Hub

Migrants living in NY
April 12, 2024
Southern Hospitality
April 7, 2024

“Jujutsu Kaisen Season 1” – Season Review

Photo+by+Christopher+John+on+Unsplash%0A++
Photo by Christopher John on Unsplash

Jujutsu Kaisen, a manga released in March 2018, swiftly gained popularity, leading MAPPA Co., a Japanese animation studio, to adapt it into an anime. The much anticipated first episode of Season 1 released in October 2020, becoming an instant hit, showcasing MAPPA Co.’s dynamic animation and Jujutsu Kaisen’s compelling world-building.

Fast forward to 2023, and the series has reached new heights with its recent episodes and chapters. For those unfamiliar with the series, this article aims to encourage them to dive into Jujutsu Kaisen and understand why it stands as one of the best anime of the year.

In the world of Jujutsu Kaisen, cursed spirits, manifestations of cursed energy from humanities negative emotions, pose as the main threat. Sorcerers, individuals capable of harnessing cursed energy, combat these spirits to ensure humanity’s safety. Each sorcerer, along with strong cursed spirits, possesses unique abilities called cursed techniques, that could either be learned or inherited.

The central plot revolves around the elimination of Sukuna, an evil 1,000-plus-year-old sorcerer who once ruled during the Heian period. Sukuna’s power was sealed within 20 cursed fingers that were scattered across the world. In an unfortunate chain of events the main protagonist, Yuji Itadori consumed a finger becoming the vessel for Sukuna.

The series kicks off with Yuji’s encounter with cursed spirits drawn to the cursed finger at his school, forcing him to consume it and gain the abilities to fight back. This act allows Sukuna to temporarily possess Yuji, leading to a confrontation with Megumi. Satoru Gojo, the strongest sorcerer in history, intervenes, saving Megumi and setting the stage for Yuji’s fate, execution or enrollment in a school for sorcerers.

Jujutsu Kaisen’s success lies in its deep thematic exploration through characters. Megumi embodies feelings of worthlessness after almost being sold to an abusive clan of sorcerers by his mercenary father. Despite being saved and raised by Gojo, Megumi still faces difficulty accepting himself and often finds solutions that could end in his demise. Gojo is acknowledged as the strongest by every character in the series and is shown to be incredibly confident in his abilities. Despite what Gojo presents to the world, Gojo grapples with loneliness and mentors the next generation to fill the power void after his inevitable passing.

Character development is pivotal, notably seen in Yuji Itadori. Initially driven by a desire for a ‘proper death’ and protecting others, his perspective evolves. Confronted with the harsh realities of being a sorcerer, he realizes the naivety of his ambitions and questions the value of his actions. This growth creates a character audiences can root for and sympathize with, essential components of a great character.

In conclusion, Jujutsu Kaisen cements itself as a standout manga and anime. The compelling narrative from the manga, brought to life by MAPPA Co.’s stellar animation, explains the series’ enduring popularity. As new chapters and episodes unfold, both long-time fans and newcomers can anticipate more from Jujutsu Kaisen. It is undeniably worth the watch.